Sunday, November 13, 2011

Student Artwork: Cross Hatching & Stippling Warm Up Activity

Below are some examples of student artwork from a practice activity using stippling and cross hatching.  Although some students found stippling to be tedious work, most students preferred this method over cross hatching.  All of the drawings below were done from life using styrofoam spheres, cylinders and eggs.
This activity turned out not only to be a learning experience to students, but one for me as well.  In trying out this lesson I realized I needed to do something different with the lighting situation because in regular lighting the shadows on the objects drawn were hard to see and required some squinting.  This helped better prepare my partner and I for our bigger lesson in which we set up spot lights and turned off the regular over head ones in order to show stronger areas of dark and light for students to focus on in their drawings.

My field work partner and I thought it would be helpful to include a work sheet in the activity to help students remember the different terms and artists that had been introduced in the lesson.  Some students had taken this one step further by writing on their practice drawings what technique they had used.

No comments:

Post a Comment